Make it with
Muskoka Mad Tom
Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 5 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- ¼ cup red pepper, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup water
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 can of beer
- Sour cream, crumbled cooked bacon, shredded cheddar
- cheese and green onions for garnish
In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrots and onion and sauté until tender. Add broccoli and red pepper. Stir in broth and salt and pepper to taste.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until thickened and vegetables are tender (about 25-30 minutes).
Stir in cheeses and beer until cheeses are melted (do not boil). To serve, pour into bowls and top with sour cream, bacon, more cheddar cheese and green onion.